Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

2 weeks in...


It has been so busy and exciting since I was crowned Miss Minnesota 2009 and I love every minute of it!

Friday - June 26, 2009
My first official appearance as Miss Minnesota! I was invited to the Super America in Maple Grove, where a fund raiser for Children’s Miracle Network was being held. I was greeted by over 20 Super America employees and many had been there since 6 AM! They had a goal of raising $50,000 over the two days, and by 11 AM they had $10,000! As soon as I arrived they put me to work! I wanted to wash windows, but no one let me so I stuck to signing autographs. During the fundraiser, Tracy was making announcements over the loud speaker. He found out that I was on American Idol, and he asked me to sing for the customers. He gave me a nice introduction and right before handing me the microphone he announces I will be doing animal noises. I joked with him, saying, “Tracy! You know that is my Miss America talent and we have to keep it a secret!” Thank you to everyone who helped raise money for Gillette’s those two days in Maple Grove.





Miss America Calling
On the way home from my appearance my cell phone rang. When I looked it was a (609) area code which is New Jersey, so I am thinking it is my Grandma or a cousin. My mom and I were in the middle of the conversation so I almost didn’t pick up! Good thing I did because it was the current MISS AMERICA, KATIE STAM!! I was in shock and I could not believe that I was actually talking to her. Katie wished me congratulations and we chatted a bit about my plans for Miss Minnesota. She will be in Florida and that will be the first time I will be able to meet her. After that phone call I think it really hit me that I am actually going to Miss America! Katie even told me to save her number, and I will admit sometimes I find myself looking through my phone contacts to see “Miss America, Katie Stam” in the midst of them.





Saturday - June 27, 2009
The next day my family and I were up bright and early for our road trip to Brainerd, Minnesota. We decided to call it our mini vacation for the summer (our hotel had a nice water slide in it!) It takes three hours to drive to Brainerd and our car was packed. We had snacks, water, pageant gowns, suitcases, makeup, hair curlers, and a Miss Minnesota contestant sign. After I won, David gave me the contestant sign that was outside our meeting room during the week. It is my goal to get every girl to sign the poster and after this weekend I am halfway there. We arrived in Brainerd around noon, and met up with Emily Wyman, Miss Brainerd Lakes. I know it had only been a week since Miss Minnesota but I felt like I had not seen her in forever! She became one of my closest friends during the week, and I always have so much fun with her. The Brainerd Lakes committee treated me like royalty, literally. I had my own private dressing room that also had a bathroom. They made sure I felt right at home. I quickly got ready and then talked to the contestants before they headed into their interviews. I had to smile when I heard the girls talk about their interviews because two of the judges were my local directors Kathy and Judy. I even had the chance to catch up with them (I had not seen them since the brunch after Miss Minnesota) and talk about my first week as Miss Minnesota.

I had an hour break before I had to get ready for the final night so my family picked me up for dinner. They visited the Paul Bunyan amusement park that day and had some entertaining photos. I wish I had time to see the GIANT Paul who knows your name when you walk by. Maybe next time… Family, you up for another road trip? My mom bought me a snow globe from the museum which is the start of my new collection from the local pageants. Each local pageant I attend I am going to buy a snow globe from the city, I feel that a snow globe is appropriate for the state of Minnesota!

For the final pageant, over half of the girls I competed with at Miss Minnesota attended. It was so wonderful to see everyone again, and catch up since the final pageant. I love how we all got along so well during Miss Minnesota week and I know we will all keep in touch. Girls – do not forget about our pool party! Invitations coming soon :)

The Miss Brainerd Lakes Pageant had 10 girls this year, and if you have not been to their pageant, the stage is incredible. They have a runway that reminds me of the traditional Miss America pageant when it was held in Atlantic City. When it was my time to perform during the pageant Bill, one of the directors, told me to work that runway. So that I did! During the day a few of the staff members were wearing “Protect the Queen” shirts. I had commented on them every time I saw them because they were so cool! Well, while I was on stage they presented me with my very own shirt. I definitely wore it home that night. Congratulations to Lauren Johnson, the new Miss Brainerd Lakes. I look forward to getting to know you throughout the year. Thank you to Bill and Vicki, Miss Brainerd Lakes Directors, for letting me share in the fun of the Miss Brainerd Lakes Pageant.

Sunday - June 28, 2009
My Dad and I woke up early that morning to get our workout in before we had to leave for a 4 hour drive to Middle River, Minnesota. We went downstairs to ask for directions to the gym and the man at the front desk told us there was a brand new gym just down the block. This was a bit more tempting then the room at the hotel with one treadmill and one bike, and we were up for the brief walk. After about 15 minutes of walking we arrived at the gym and it was definitely brand new. So new that the gym was not even open yet! My dad and I had an extra workout that morning since we then had to walk back to the hotel. We headed out to the Miss Marshall County pageant. Having never been this far up north I now understand why people have cabins. The lakes are absolutely beautiful.

We arrived in Middle River around 1 PM, and had plenty of time to get ready for the 3 PM pageant. I had the opportunity to meet all of the girls vying for the title of Miss Marshall County as well as the committee. Before the pageant started I went onstage to do a sound check for the songs I planned to perform and we could not get my CD to work. The sound guy, Nick, tried every CD player he had and every cord he had but for some reason it would not work with his system. I was planning on just singing something acapella, when my little brother came to the rescue. The CD worked on his computer and while I was singing he held a microphone up to the computer to play my karaoke track. I had a blast during the pageant, and stayed busy. I helped ask the onstage questions, performed twice, and even sang with the town’s Men’s Chorus. Of course I did not know any of their songs, but it was fun to join them on a song that I believe was called “Bird Dog?”





During the crowning the local director handed me the crown but she did not have any hair pins to secure it. I removed a few pins from my own and hoped both crowns would stay in place. Congratulations to Joanna Endrizzi, the new Miss Marshall County!! The pageant ended around 5 and my family and I had a seven hour drive back to the Twin Cities. I am convinced that our GPS has a sense of humor. After about two hours in the car we were all hungry for some dinner. The GPS told us that a Subway was only 5 minutes away, except when we got there… no Subway, just a residential home. We tried again after about 10 minutes and the GPS found another Subway…. Except this time it was a Barn. Finally after an hour searching for some food, we found a Subway in Perham. It was a long drive but we were finally home around 11 PM that night. With so much time in the car I worked on lists of songs and ideas of things I could do as Miss Minnesota.

Monday - June 29, 2009
The next morning I was up early to get ready for my appearance on Twin Cities Live. After my workout that morning I noticed I had a few missed calls from Barb, my Miss Minnesota Business Manager. She called to ask if I could find my Flexible Hanger that I had invented in 4th grade, because they wanted it on the show that afternoon. Barb had sent them my paperwork from the pageant to come up with questions, and they wanted to interview me on my invention. I panicked because I had no idea where it would be, but my mom, cool as a cucumber, knew exactly where my flexible hanger was.

While eating lunch there was a commercial for Twin Cities Live that showed a preview of the show for today. That is when I found out that Nick Arrojo, the hair stylist from TLC’s What Not to Wear was going to be on the show! I am a huge fan of that show, and was keeping my fingers crossed that I would meet him. My mom and I arrived on set about an hour before taping. We were taken down to the dressing room and green room to wait for my sound check. The walls all around the studio are covered with signatures from guests who have been on their shows. I even found some former Miss Minnesota signatures!





While waiting back stage I was able to meet with the other guests. Marjorie Johnson, who has been on Jay Leno and Rosie O’Donnell for her baking was going to be making her famous ABC Bread on the show. She assured me that I could have a piece because it was made with Apples, Bananas and Carrots!

Then the moment I had been waiting for…. Nick Arrojo and his hair models walked in. After his interview he came into the green room and started chatting with my mom and me. I told him that I was competing for Miss America and needed some hair advice, and he said (I quote): “Darlin’ you already have Miss America hair.” Let’s hope he is in Las Vegas tells that to the judges!!!






Before going on for my interview the host Elizabeth Ries came back to the green room to chat and I learned that she went to school in Apple Valley which is the rival school to Eastview where I graduated. We hit it off right away and the interview just flew by! I had the opportunity to watch it online and I loved the bit about the flexible hanger. I am so glad that they had me bring it on the show. They invited me to come back throughout my reign and hopefully I can come back once my Children’s Miracle Network CD is released. Now you may be asking what CD? Well continue reading…

Tuesday - June 30, 2009
Before Miss Minnesota I came up with the idea of recording a CD for Children’s Miracle Network with the proceeds going towards CMN and Gillette Children’s Hospital. I had the idea of just recording it on Garage band on my apple computer, but former Miss Minnesota Vicki Kueppers had a better idea. She hooked me up with producer, Darren Rust, of Lakeville who has a private recording studio in his home. We met the week before and discussed options for the CD and also recorded a demo to listen to. Today we came together to discuss final details about the recording process. The album will be complete by this August and will have 3 songs. One of them will be an original that I will be able to perform throughout the state. Stay tuned for more information on ordering a CD and you will be able to watch some video clips on the recording process.





Minnesota Thunder Soccer
That evening I was asked to sing the National Anthem at the Minnesota Thunder’s Soccer Game. Something you may not know about me is that I played travel soccer for 7 years and was very familiar with the Blaine Soccer Club. Never in a million years did I think I would be standing on the field of the National Sports Center in heels and a crown and sash. I even saw a few friends that I played soccer with at the game.





I sang the National Anthem before the game (perfect warm up for the Twins Game!) and they gave me a T-shirt. I have realized I am going to have quite the T-Shirt collection after my reign of Miss Minnesota is over. I already have my MN Thunder shirt and my “Protect the Queen” T-Shirt.

Wednesday - July 1, 2009
This was quite the busy day. It was my first day back at Gillette’s since being crowned Miss Minnesota. When I walked into the volunteer office they had decorated the volunteer board with pictures from the Miss Minnesota pageant. During the week we visited Gillette’s to take a tour and make cookies with the patients. I was able to see both Paula and Laurie who I worked with while I was there. They were so excited about me becoming Miss Minnesota and wanted to know every detail. Since the 4th of July was that weekend the craft for the day was red, white and blue bracelets. They were a hit and we ran out so fast! Thank goodness we have unlimited coloring pages and coloring crayons.

Dakota Woodlands Women’s Shelter
July 1st was also the first day of my music program at the Dakota Woodlands Women’s Shelter. I met with them earlier in the spring about starting a music program there during the summer months. I was so excited to get started and work with the kids. Since it is a Women’s shelter each week the number of kids will be different. This week I had four kids ranging from 3 to 6 years old. I started the program with some coloring to music, and they were so excited about all the different markers I brought! I was glad to see them get so excited because markers were not ever the best part! I had musical instruments to show them as well as a craft where they could make their own instruments.




I loved seeing the kids play in their own band, and tell me how much they love to sing. I had pipe cleaners and bells for them to make their own jingle bracelets, and take with them. After 45 minutes with the kids the room was a mess, and the sound of jingle bells was ringing through the halls. I cannot wait for next week when we make kazoos!

Miss Eagan Pageant
The beginning of July not only means that summer is going by so fast!!! But also that it is Miss Eagan time! My mom and I started the Miss Eagan Ambassador Program five years ago and have awarded over $14,000 in scholarships. This year, since I became so busy with Miss Minnesota, our assistant director Cheri Smith took over for us. This program is so important to me that I would not miss it for the world. I rushed over right after my music program at the Women’s Shelter to help with rehearsals. That evening they had interviews, I prepped the girls before they went into their interviews; I knew exactly what they were going through. The older girls (the winner will compete at Aquatennial) had to do a panel interview and a closing statement. This is very similar to the Miss America system, and I did my best to prepare them. After the interviews I was also an optional talent judge.

Thursday - July 2, 2009
Miss Eagan Final night! I arrived at the Eagan Community Center at 2 PM for the final dress rehearsal. The girls were so cooperative that we were able to run through the entire pageant twice! Then it was time to get ready for the final pageant. I was emceeing with Marni Hughes, Fox 9 Anchor; unfortunately she had to leave 30 minutes in to report the news. Thankfully Nathan Shrake, who performed at the Miss Minnesota Pageant, was able to step in and emcee with me. The pageant was highlighted on the 10 o’clock news that night where they showed clips of Marni and me emceeing. Congratulations to all the new Miss Eagan Ambassadors, and a huge thank you to the outgoing royalty for representing Eagan well. After the pageant, a table was set up for me to sign autographs and sell candy bars for Children’s Miracle Network.







Saturday - July 4, 2009
Happy 4th of July! Before Miss Minnesota I was asked to be the Grand Marshal of the Eagan 4th of July Parade as Miss Twin Cities. They were elated to hear that I was crowned Miss Minnesota and could not wait for me to be in the parade. Usually every year I drive my beetle bug convertible in the parade while carrying the Miss Eagan Royalty. This year my dad was able to drive me in his Thunderbird. It was unfortunately raining, but we came prepared with an umbrella and towels. After the Eagan parade we were off to the Apple Valley parade. I went to high school in Apple Valley so it was fun to see high school friends at the parade. I forgot that during the parade everyone knows your name, since there are huge signs on either side of your car. I had some interesting comments made to me. One little boy yelled to me that I was not a real princess, while another girl told me that she had googled me all last night. The entire day was a blast, and it was great seeing old friends.

Fireworks
The last few 4th of July’s we started a tradition of watching fireworks at the Eagan Community Center with the Gwaltney family. Each year we try to add something new. First we had chairs and snacks, the next year we did chocolate fondue, and then this year we brought a folding table for the fondue and playing cards. We spend the time sharing funny stories, (my stories were all about tanning products that I tried for the Miss Minnesota pageant and how my hands and feet were orange), eating fondue, and watching the fireworks. Then we always stay after to let all the other cars leave the parking lot before we head home. Oh, another thing we added this year… a bug light.

Monday - July 6, 2009
Today was my official Miss America photo shoot. My mom and I arrived bright and early at 9 AM, and met up with makeup artist, Leanne Barr in the parking lot. For all the times that I had been at Paula Preston’s studio, I never knew there was an elevator. Usually my mom and I carry all my clothes up the two flights of stairs, so the elevator sounded very appealing. But this was the creepiest elevator I have ever seen. It was an old fashion elevator meaning you had to lift the door yourself. Leanne lifted the door too high for her or I to reach to close it back down. My Mom who is 2 inches taller than us also couldn’t reach so we pulled out the only thing we had a hanger. My Mom pulled the door down and we were on our way up to the second floor. We all made it safely up to Paula’s studio and back down without any problems. After 6 hours of shooting I am so excited to see the photos that Paula took.









Only 208 days until Miss America!

Until next time,
Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com