Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Monday, July 13, 2009

Miss Minnesota luggage travels over 3450 miles this weekend.

July 10, 2009
Right before Miss Minnesota week my Mom purchased a bubble gum pink set of luggage for me. I managed to keep it clean the whole week at Miss Minnesota, but this weekend it really took a beating. First stop the Miss Northwest pageant!

It was fun to get some father-daughter time as I took the role of his secretary for the day as we drove to Detroit Lakes for the Miss Northwest Pageant. As he made conference calls during the car ride, I was catching up on my thank you cards, and reviewing my paperwork.

I was excited to see Lacey Erickson, the current Miss Northwest! We stood next to one another backstage before the opening number, and she always knew how to make me laugh. As soon as I arrived I met the 7 girls who were competing as they finished up their interviews. As you know I am collecting snow globes from each local pageant that I attend, and my dad went off on a scavenger hunt to find one. I had to laugh when he came back with a magnet instead, it’s the thought that counts! It was fun to see the girls from Miss Minnesota week again, and catch up with Lacey and Mackenzie in our dressing room.



Thank you to Cindy Moore and the entire Miss Northwest Committee for putting on such a successful pageant and congratulations to the new Miss Northwest, Lexy Okeson!
Luggage 450 miles and still clean!

July 11, 2009
Up at 5 AM to get to the airport to fly to Boston, as I was checking in my pink luggage the Northwest attendant asked me if it was brand new. I smiled and said yes, and she responded, “Well it won’t look as new when we are finished with it.” I was really hoping she just kidding!

After finishing up some last minute details with my school and apartment, my mom and I had some free time before the Miss Massachusetts pageant that evening. I was able to play tour guide for a while and take my mom to the best shopping spots!

The Miss Massachusetts pageant was held in Worcester, which is about an hour outside the city. We had rented a car (a cute silver PT Cruiser!), and I was in charge of the GPS. So I brought my own GPS, and map quest directions plus the car we rented had a GPS. I really wanted to make sure we didn’t get lost!

The theatre was absolutely beautiful, and as soon as we were arrived the reigning Miss Massachusetts Alicia Zitka greeted me. We had exchanged a few emails but this was the first time I had met her in person.



I confused a lot of people during the night because of my title. Most people assumed after seeing the M that I was Miss Maine! I loved the looks on their faces when they realized that I was actually Miss Minnesota. I did not mind explaining a couple times that I go to school in Boston and was in town for the weekend.

INTERESTING FACT: I was actually born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts which is only 1 hour away from Worcester. I don’t remember much about living there but my claim to fame is that I played with Meryl Streep’s kids when she was shopping in the same store as my mom. Granted I was only 2 at the time but that is still pretty cool!

There were four other Miss America titleholders at the Miss Massachusetts Pageant. I was able to meet Miss Connecticut, Miss New Hampshire, Miss Vermont and Miss Rhode Island. I am so excited that I now know a few girls before heading to Florida in August. We had a great time getting to know one another, and taking pictures.

The Miss Massachusetts Committee puts on a great show. They have official Miss Massachusetts’s dancers, and they hold auditions for them every year! They introduced each face of the competition with a fun dance routine and I enjoyed watching them.



During the pageant they had the visiting royalty introduce themselves onstage. They saved me for last since I had traveled the farthest. I explained to the crowd why I was there and even received a few cheers when I mentioned Pittsfield, MA.

Congratulations to Amanda Kelly the new Miss Massachusetts! There was a nice reception after the pageant where I was able to meet Amanda and grab a quick photo before heading on the road again. Although something caught my attention before I was able to leave. The Miss Massachusetts Pageant had this incredible cake that was on display. It was just too pretty to eat! Of course I had to take a picture with it.


Luggage travels 3000 miles and dirty on one side from flight!

July 12, 2009
Singing the National Anthem for the Minnesota Twins has been one of my favorite Miss Minnesota appearances so far. I had fun behind the scenes with David and Glo (thank you again for letting me sing!) I hope I can come back again during the season because I have a feeling I might be a good luck charm! The Twins dominated that game!! Here is video from the Twins Game, now keep my mind my dad filmed this while standing on a chair!



That evening I was invited to sing with the Dakota Valley Summer Pops Orchestra at Caponi Art Park. I was able to thank Mr. Caponi himself for having me, and I am looking forward to attending more concerts there.

My bubble gum pink suitcase was able to survive this whirlwind of a weekend. Although I have to admit it does not look brand new any more.



Always, Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com