Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Monday, August 10, 2009

Running with the Celts

It is Midnight, and I am writing the last blog before I head out to Orlando. This just shows how dedicated I am to this blog! This past weekend has been non-stop with the CD sales, Irish Fair and packing for Orlando… oh wait, that still has not happened yet!

August 6, 2009 – Pick up Children Miracle Network CD’s
The CD’s were not supposed to be ready until Friday, but I received a phone call Thursday morning informing me they were ready for pick up! My mom, little brother and I jumped into the car and headed to Coon Rapids. We were preparing ourselves for heavy lifting of the CD boxes, but we should have known they would have had a cart that took it right out to our car. I am so excited that I have all the CD’s and they are ready for sale!

August 7, 2009 – Irish Fair (Day One)
When you hear the last name Kilgarriff, you can just tell that I am Irish. I was delighted when I was asked to sing the National Anthem at the Opening Ceremonies of the Irish Fair. I got there a bit early so I could watch the Irish Step Dancers (always a secret dream of mine to be one!) and then the rugby games. I met up with Emily, Megan and Sarah of the Winter Carnival Royalty and Mr. Saint Patrick himself. We did a mini parade through the festival grounds ending at the River Theatre. After I sang the National Anthem, the Irish Anthem was sung. I wish I knew the Ireland Anthem, because it sounds so cool! Maybe next year at the fair I can sing not only the National Anthem but the Irish one too. Thankfully my family and I got out of there just in time before the weather acted up.

August 8, 2009 – Irish Fair (Day Two)

Here in Minnesota every weekend there is a 5k SOMEWHERE. The Irish Fair also had a run and I wanted to run in it (after my awesome time at the Torchlight run, how could I resist?) Well as soon as they found out that I was Miss Minnesota, they wanted my role in the race to be much bigger. For some reason they must of thought I was an avid runner since they asked me to start the race off. My dad and I showed up that morning ready for a nice run, and this time I came much more prepared! I had my hair already tied back, and I thought wearing just my sash would be easier to run in. As I stepped up to the starting line I was surrounded by what looked to be Olympic Runners. I knew I was doomed. Then of course, the announcer mentions my name, and that if they beat me they can brag to their friends they beat Miss Minnesota in a 5K. I think that motivated everyone, because as soon as they said go… everyone sprinted. Now, I have done a couple 5K’s, and I always thought that you wanted to conserve your energy in the beginning and sprint at the end… I guess I have a lot of learning to do.

I finished the race in… Twenty Two Minutes and 40 seconds. Yes, 8 seconds slower than my Torchlight run but I have an explanation! As I mentioned earlier I thought it would be easier to run with my sash on… negative. It falls right off which means it took me about 10-15 seconds to take it off and slip it into my backpack. So when you really think about it, I actually beat my time, but the sash just held me back.

Miss South Central/ Waseca County Sleigh and Cutter

My mom and I drove an hour to the Miss SC/WCSC local pageant. It was nice to have such a short drive since the weekend before it was 6 hours to Thief River Falls. This was the first local pageant that I was not only going to sell CD’s, but sing one of the original songs! We announced it as the World Premiere of “Don’t You Dare”... It was actually quite surreal for me because at one point during the performance I realize this was my song and I had to keep myself from crying on stage. Good thing the song has an inspirational message so I hope people just thought I was really getting into the song. Thank you to everyone who purchased CDs that night and being there for its debut.

Congratulations to Aja Majkrzak the new Miss South Central and Molly Jewison the New Miss Waseca County Sleigh & Cutter!

August 9, 2009 – Irish Fair (Day Three)
Oh, yes I was back at the Irish Fair. They had a Mass early in the morning and asked me to perform one of the original songs, “Don’t You Dare.” I was so excited to be able to share this song with the crowd that morning.

I raced home for a quick costume change and then it was off to the Target Center to sing the National Anthem at the Minnesota Lynx Game. Performing in the Target Center = Incredible! I cannot wait to go back for a T-Wolves game!
It is now 12:27…. I am impressed that I wrote this blog in 27 minutes. There you have it short and sweet! Now I must sleep… oh wait, I still need to pack.

Also CDs are ready for sale! Pick up your copy at www.musicbuildingblocks.com and support Children's Miracle Network!

Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com