Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Monday, September 28, 2009

Cupcake

September 23, 2009 – Delano Elementary Music Presentation
Ms. Peterson invited me to talk to the third graders about the connection between Math and Music at Delano Elementary school. I have been to Delano, one time, and it was when I was 5 years old to pick out a golden retriever puppy. The drive to Delano became challenging when my GPS discovered that Highway 12 was closed for road construction. Road construction follows me everywhere! When the “little car” on the GPS is floating in blue space… that means you are lost. Well, my little car was floating for a while… thankfully I was able to follow the detour signs and safely make it to Delano Elementary School.

The third graders were split into two sessions, each for one hour. I talked about the connection between Math and Music and how they could use Music as a study tool.

After playing Music games, I answered a few question from the students. I thought they would ask questions about Music or American Idol but other topics came up as well. I seem to hear the same ones over and over:

“What does your house look like?”
“How big is your dog?”
“Do you have a boyfriend?”


It seems like all these kids are interested in is my love life. During the second session there was a young boy who was waiting patiently to ask me a question. I finally said I would take one last question, and called on this young boy. He stood up and said proudly “ My brother is 26!” After I smiled he then said, “Just thought you would like to know.” Not sure what he was implying ☺

During my visit, a reporter from the Delano Herald Journal came to cover my presentation. He interviewed me on my background, and why music education is so important to me. He wrote an incredible article, check it out:

http://www.herald-journal.com/archives/2009/stories/miss-minnesota-music.html

The mayor was hoping to come to my music class, but had to work, apparently he had to run the city!!

September 24, 2009 – Minnesota Citizens for the Arts

I met Shelia Smith who is the Executive Director of the Minnesota Citizens for the Arts to talk about my platform. She and I discussed my platform and opportunities that she recommended I look into. We met at this adorable coffee place called Cupcake. Yes, they do serve cupcakes at 9:30 in the morning. I passed, but I did bring home a Smores Cupcake for my little brother. The cashier offered me a sample cupcake, and I had to take a picture. This is a cupcake that a girl can eat while training for Miss America ☺



Northwest Community Television Interview
I did an interview with Elaine Hall on her show In Our Town. It was a 30-minute program, and a great way to promote my CD, Carry You Through.

September 25, 2009 – Elk River High School Pep Rally

I missed my senior homecoming pep rally because I was flying to San Francisco for my Simon, Paula and Randy, American Idol audition. I was able to relive it at Elk High School, while I performed during their pep rally. The kids were covered head to toe with school spirit, and I was honored to be an “Elk” for the day.





I decided to perform my talent song from Miss Minnesota, and I now know what celebrities feel like during a rock concert. Hearing the cheers from the crowd made it so fun to perform, and I felt like a rock star! I wish I could bring all of them to Las Vegas for my cheering section at Miss America!

After the pep rally, I spoke to Mr. Beaudry’s choir class about my American Idol performance. I sang again for them, and answered questions. I have learned when you go to a school, if you sign one autograph card… you will sign over a 100 autograph cards. Thank goodness I had an hour’s drive to my next appearance to let my hand rest.

Thank you to Mr. Beaudry for setting up this appearance, and I hope everyone at Elk River High School had a wonderful Homecoming!



Great Clips Convention
Great Clips is a supporter of Children’s Miracle Network. Their National Convention was held at the Minneapolis Convention Center, and I was asked to be in the CMN Booth. I handed out candy, back massagers (a crowd favorite!!), and I signed autograph cards. At the booth I worked with Brad Lake, a representative for Children’s Miracle Network, and Andrea from Gillette’s Children’s Hospital.



September 26, 2009 - The Hartford PACE Race
I sang the National Anthem at Lake Nokomis, and then ran the 5K. This organization’s goal is to make men aware of the dangers of prostate cancer. My Dad ran the race with me but I totally out ran him. He needs to pick up the pace! (get it… pace race…) Sorry, Dad I couldn't resist the one-liner.

Always
Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com