Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Friday, October 16, 2009

I must have missed my calling as an auctioneer...

October 1, 2009 –Movie Premiere
Thursday night I was invited to the Premiere of the locally shot movie Nobody. The premiere was hosted by director Rob Perez at the State Theatre in downtown Minneapolis. I attended the party before the red carpet event and met one of the producers of the movie, Josh Hartnett! Josh grew up in the Twin Cities. He still has a home here, which was used during filming for many of the out of town actors as a place to stay while in town. The film was wonderful, and it was fun seeing familiar faces as well as Minnesota and Wisconsin locations up on the screen. The film “Nobody” is playing at Kerasotes Block E Stadium 15 Theatre, 600 Hennepin Av., in Minneapolis. Check it out!


October 5, 2009 – Miss America Contestant Lottery

I asked my little brother Sean for coaching because I have never participated in an online lottery. My brother has been a part of a fantasy football league for a couple of years and has done the football draft on line, his advise was to have two computers in case one should freeze. I had not thought of that !! So I had my laptop, his lap top, and just in case my mom’s desktop all ready to go. I set up camp on my kitchen counter with two computers and four phones. I was preparing for a long wait before I saw Minnesota pop on the screen.

Once your state pops up on the screen you have 5 minutes to call Miss America and pick your spot. I had thought about where I wanted to be and had a plan if this, than that, sort of thing happened. I just hoped it would work.

As each state was picked, I was TEXTING my Mom letting her know who was going where, since I was home alone. I was not feeling well, must have been from all the school visits the last couple of weeks and my brother bringing home germs every day, I had something!!! I started CALLING my mom after each state was picked. I think she could hear the stress in my voice after each call. She kept telling me it did not matter where I was that I would be fine no matter what. I knew she was right, but I think the stress of the waiting and the fact that I did not feel well started to kick in, then it happened my state popped up on the screen, I was picked 12th!. Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

What to do, I called my Mom, I told her I was “on the board” and what should I do??? The thing that is great about my Mom is she wants me to make the decision and feel good about it. So I decided to go with my plan.

I called right away and after I dialed the extension number, I heard “I’m sorry you have entered the wrong number, and then click.” I was in a panic!!! I had only 2 minutes left. At this point I had all four phones dialed and just hoping it would go through. I was so relieved when I heard Marc, answer the phone and say is this Miss Minnesota? I choose the sigma group and contestant number 13…. It has a nice ring to it: Sigma 13

My schedule for Miss America:

Tuesday Morning – Interview
Tuesday Prelim – Swimsuit/Evening Gown
Wednesday Prelim – Talent
Thursday Prelim – Onstage Question
Saturday Evening – MISS AMERICA LIVE!

October 10, 2009 – Miss North Metro
The Miss Minnesota Organization has grown from 17 contestants to 23 for the state pageant in 2010. Miss North Metro was one of the new locals that I participated in this year. This means in June we will have a two night prelim, and all together a 3 day pageant.

I arrived at Hopkins High School just in time to help out with interviews. Savanna Tate who competed with me at Miss Minnesota, as Miss Moorhead was the emcee for the pageant. It was wonderful catching up with her during the day. Congratulations to Tiffany Gunderson, the first Miss North Metro!



October 10, 2009 – Flying Home Event

I started volunteering at Dakota Woodlands Homeless Shelter as Miss Twin Cities and then as Miss Minnesota bringing Music to the homeless children who were staying there. Once a week I did a music class with the Children, we would make musical instruments, play games, and sing. Who would think in a suburb like Eagan, MN one would find a homeless shelter. I learned that people can become homeless anywhere. Many of these families have jobs but are just unable to afford homes for their families. I was honored when the director asked if I would be a part of their yearly fundraiser for the shelter.



I was asked to build a birdhouse to auction off at the event, which was cleverly named “Flying Home”. I made a princess style birdhouse, with a beautiful crown on top! Each of the bird houses were paired up with a donated sponsored item, my house was paired with a party at the American Girl Doll store in the Mall of America.



I was also asked to help emcee the event and be an auctioneer for the live auction. I have emceed many events but none as an auctioneer. I am told I am a fast talker so how hard could it be?

I arrived at the fundraiser Saturday night with my parents and we were able to walk around and take a look at all the different birdhouses. Each table had very creative birdhouses made by Al Franken, the Minnesota Twins, Miss Minnesota (Me) and many more.

Bob Radecki (The Master of Ceremony) and I would be working together on the live auction. We spoke on the phone just minutes before this event, but we hit it off right away. The first item up for bid was a weekend at a St. Paul Hotel, then Taylor Swift Concert tickets, and Miley Cryus tickets. We had several bids and the money raised will greatly benefit the shelter.

Next up for bid was raising $2500 to renovate the kid’s room at the homeless shelter. The crowd was asked to donate any amount of money and runners with baskets would hand them monopoly money. If someone wanted to donate we would rip the money in half and give them one half. The other half went to the accountant. I was then updating the crowd on how much money we had raised. In less then 5 minutes we had over $2500, it was incredible!

The next items up for bid were GED’s. I had no idea that you had to pay a fee to take the GED test to get your high school diploma. I was asked to give a speech to the audience about how wonderful it would be if they would give this opportunity to the people at the shelter. To make this even more creative, if someone purchased a GED, they would be crowned by Miss Minnesota. I had no idea how this was going to go over, but was overjoyed when I had over 20 people to crown! Each person had a crowning photo, and kept the tiara.

While I was crowning, a donor who wanted to remain anonymous asked if I would sing for a donation of five hundred dollars. How could I pass up this opportunity! I sang the song I performed during my America Idol Hollywood Audition, and shared a bit about my AI experience.

Now it was time for the top two items up for bid. First up, a Joe Mauer (catcher from the Minnesota Twins) autographed baseball. Bob and I decided to make it worth a bit more… so we signed it too. I even drew hearts all over my name and Joe’s. I think we upped the price quite a bit! I heard the crowd grown “Oh NO”!

Gotcha! We did not sign the real Joe Mauer baseball! It was a fake one, but I think worth just as much

The final item up for auction was Vikings/Packers tickets. Bob was the auctioneer for all of these items and the Viking tickets were up to $275, when he forgot where he was and went back to $250. It was my turn to take over. Next thing I know someone is offering $800 for the tickets!! I must have missed my calling as an auctioneer, and the final bid for the tickets was over $1,000! At one point, just like the Sotheby’s auctions in New York we had several people on the phone with their accountants!! Vikings/Packers tickets are priceless!!

Just as I am about to leave, two gentlemen who wanted a picture approached me. They were holding the baseball that I had signed and put hearts all over. I think they got the best item of the night!

It was an amazing evening, and I was so honored to be apart of it.
Always, Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com