Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bass or Opera Singer?


This week started off with the Minnesota Veterans Day Program with Governor Tim Pawlenty, and Senators Al Franken, and Senator Amy Klobuchar. Before the ceremony started, I was able to meet a few of the guests that were in attendance. Senator Al Franken and I go way back (aka we met once when he spoke at my National Honor Society Banquet in High School.) I had the opportunity to update him about the Miss Minnesota Organization and my preparations for Miss America. It was such an honor to meet only a few of the veterans who have served our country. I am so thankful for all who have served our great nation, and for their courage and dedication.


All the presenters met in the green room before we entered the ceremony. I met Governor Tim Pawlenty on several occasions over the years, as we both share the same home town, Eagan MN. You could say we are practically neighbors. It was great to catch up with the Governor for a few moments. I also met three lovely sisters, from Elk River who sang the National Anthem, they did an incredible job!

My role in the ceremony was to lead the audience with the Pledge of Allegiance. You may not know this but when I attended Eastview High School I was the pledge girl. Every morning when the bell rang at school I came on the loudspeaker and said, “Good Morning Eastview High School!” Then I would always share a fun fact such as…” Today in 2000, Bill Clinton becomes the first U.S. President to visit Vietnam since the end of the Vietnam War.” Then I would recite the pledge.

This years Veterans Day Ceremony was beautiful, and all the speakers had wonderful messages to say. I truly enjoyed meeting Stan the Man, a veteran who recited a poem and spoke about his experience as a War Veteran. Right before the ceremony, Stan wanted to show me a magic trick. He showed me a quarter, and asked me multiple times if I really thought it was a quarter. At the same time, the speakers started to head into the ceremony, as Stan the Man was showing me this trick. After asking me one final time if I really thought it was a quarter, he made it disappear. Just in time for us to run and catch up with the rest of the speakers!

After the Minnesota Veterans Day Program I was off to Gillette Children’s Hospital to volunteer for a bit before meeting with the Friends of Gillette group. I will be emceeing their event in early December!

Thursday was my weekly mock interview and this time it was held at the Luther Auto Group. We also had some guest judges who attended. Thank you to everyone who is helping me prepare for the Miss America pageant!

Friday was my rehearsal for the University of Minnesota’s Gopher Game National Anthem on Saturday at their big game against South Dakota. I would be performing in their new TCF Bank Stadium! Since I had never been there before I was unaware of where to park for the rehearsal. After driving around the stadium about 5 times, I finally pulled over to ask a security guard, Brian, for some assistance. He allowed me to park in a “special” parking spot, and assisted me inside the building. I could not help but laugh when everyone was on their radios saying” Uh… I have a Miss Minnesota here…” Eventually I was led to the field where I needed to meet up with the Band Director. I must have been a bit early because for 5 whole minutes I was in the stadium, and on the field all by myself. It was such a surreal feeling. Soon the field was covered with over 100 band members, and we were rehearsing the National Anthem. I had to have a student help me back to my car because with a stadium this big… I could have parked anywhere! Thanks Tyler!

The new Miss Capital City Kaylah Dockter attends the University of Minnesota, and since I was in the area I thought I would pay her a visit. She was also doing me a huge favor by letting me borrow a jersey for the game tomorrow, therefore I could look like a true Gopher.

The next morning my Dad and I were up bright early for the game. Once inside the stadium, it really hit me how many people were at this game. As I stood on the sidelines waiting to sing, I started to feel the Minnesota cold air. Thankfully they have heated benches that warm your bottoms as well as your feet.

Since I was singing with the band, I had to sing in the key they were playing. This key was a bit out of my range… you see if I sang it with the band I was singing as low as a bass (this is lowest men’s part in a choir) if I sang it up the octave… I was then an opera singer. When I woke up that morning I had to choose…. Bass or opera singer.

I was a bass

Good news the gopher’s won 16-13!

After the game my Dad and I headed off to Mankato. We met up at Olives with the judges for a dinner. I was able to reunite with Kelsey the current Miss Mankato as well. Then it was off to the pageant where 10 girls were competing for Miss Mankato!! I sang the National Anthem and also as a surprise I performed my talent from Miss Minnesota. It was the first time performing it for an audience since June. Congratulations to Samantha Phillippi, the new Miss Mankato!

Always

Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com