Home Meet Miss MN 2008 Pageant Compete Local Pageants Formers Sponsors Contact

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Go Green!

Hi Everyone,

It is Sunday evening and I spent this morning at the Go Green Convention at the Minneapolis Convention Center.



In August 2009 Miss America announced they were “Going Green.” I was invited to speak at the Convention about how I am living a greener life as Miss Minnesota. After my speech I was able to walk around the Expo and meet some of the vendors. I love the solar powered flashlight and key chain I purchased from Solar Goose. I also was introduced to a vendor who shared with me a website that they thought I might be interested in, “Women’s Voice for the Earth”. Check out this site. They focus on environmental issues directly affecting women.

http://www.womenandenvironment.org


Here is the recap of my last two weeks.


October 29, 2009 – Coats for Kids
The Coats for Kids Program is partnered with The Salvation Army and Channel 5 Eyewitness News. The Dakota County location, where I volunteer, had over 2,500 coats donated !!! I had a wonderful time greeting, and helping the children pick out their very own coats. Many families did not speak English, so I was able to help with some of the Spanish speaking families since I had several years of Spanish in High School. I was a little rusty at first, however in no time we were communicating and having fun ! One little girl who was about 4 years old would try on a coat and run over to me for my opinion. After trying on four coats she finally decided on a cute light green and purple coat.

October 30, 2009 – Gillette Halloween Party
Gillette Children’s Hospital hosted a trick or treat trail for the kids on Friday. Each child was given a map of the hospital, and the locations where they could collect candy. I was partnered up with Andrea, the Children’s Miracle Network Representative, on the 3rd floor waiting area. Not only did the kids get candy, we also handed out coupons for free haircuts, and Dairy Queen Blizzards.

The staff at Gillette really go all out for these kids to have the absolute best Halloween possible. Costumes are donated, and each child is able to pick their favorite costume. Wal-Mart donated bags for the kids to trick or treat , and all the candy was donated as well. I met some incredible kids that day, including a young girl named Isabella. She was from Mexico and was returning to Mexico within the week to head back home. She wore an Egyptian costume, and was such a joy to talk to.



The following week I went to volunteer at Gillette on Wednesday. I knew Isabella was leaving soon, so I made another trip back to Gillette’s on Thursday to wish her the best of luck. She will be back in April and I look forward to seeing her then! For now we are facebook friends so we can stay in touch.

Always

Brooke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

All site content © Miss Minnesota Organization - Questions? Contact Webmaster at missmnweb@gmail.com